The Royal St.Vincent and the Grenadines Police Training school located at Old Montrose started in earnest in August 1979 with over 40 recruits under the supervision of deceased retired Inspector of Police, Oswald Regisford, who was assisted by outside lecturers.
Some recruits were sent to Barbados to receive their initial training at the Regional Police Training Centre (RPTC). However, this was gradually phased out and ended in 2003 with all recruit training being conducted in St.Vincent and the Grenadines. The syllabus used was a copy of the RPTC syllabus with some adjustments to the laws and procedures applicable to St.Vincent and the Grenadines.
The Syllabus at the Training School includes:
- General police duty subjects
- Weapons training
- Physical training
- Self-defence, health and family life education
- Effective communication
- Domestic violence and human trafficking
- Community policing
- Forensic psychology and research methods
- A number of practical exercises are simulated.