Fellow Vincentians and visitors to the beautiful shores of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, I bid you greetings. As we enter the final five (5) days of celebrations to culminate Vincy Mas 2019 – “the hottest Carnival in the Caribbean”, I wish to assure you that I and all of the other members of the Royal St. Vincent and the Grenadines Police Force main priority right now is YOU. We will do all within the power vested in us to provide a safe and secure environment for all revelers as you partake in and enjoy Vincy Mas.
The Police Force has recently added an additional seventy nine (79) officers to its ranks to bolster our human resource capacity. I give you the assurance that we will be extra vigilant over this long extended weekend. As Commissioner of Police, I wish to inform you that I have directed the deployment of Police Officers to patrol the streets of Kingstown, its immediate environs and in communities throughout the entire country with the sole aim of maintaining law and order as we celebrate our nation’s largest national festival.
To this end, it is my hope that as you enjoy yourselves during these celebrations, you will be responsible individuals and respect the laws of St. Vincent and the Grenadines. If you are violated in any way, please report the matter to the police for redress; do not take the law into your own hands and retaliate. Police officers will be out in droves everywhere and will be more than eager to assist you. We continue to be extremely vigilant as we endeavour to make the festivities safe for everyone.
In conclusion, it is of paramount importance that I offer some valuable DO’s and Don’ts advice to you for your safety as we move into the final phase of Vincy Mas.
- Secure your homes and properties before you leave home
- Inform your neighbours whenever you are leaving home
- Park your vehicles in lighted areas to avoid break-ins
- If you have to walk for any long distance, walk in groups
- Be on the lookout for counterfeit currency
- Observe the “No Parking” signs
- Drive with due care and attention
- Be on the alert for ‘pick-pocketers’
- Keep all valuables especially your wallet in your front pocket
- Observe the “no glass bottle policy” that is in effect
- Report all suspicious activities to the Police immediately!
- Obey the laws of St. Vincent and the Grenadines
- Do not ‘over-indulge’ in use of alcoholic drinks
- Do not drink and drive! Please use a designated driver in all cases where you are under the influence of alcohol.
- Do not leave your children unattended as they can get lost
- Do not wear excessive jewelry to attract unnecessary attention to your person
- Do not invade Mas Bands to which you do not belong and interrupt the revelers. You will be liable to face prosecution for doing so.
- Do not move around with excessive amounts of cash to garner attention
Have a safe and enjoyable Carnival. Thank you.